University graduates bring fresh ideas, new knowledge and enthusiasm to the South Australian public sector.

A graduate position within the South Australian public sector allows you to build on your existing skillset. You will receive on-the-job training in a supportive environment, while building a valuable professional network.

Jobseekers interested in graduate positions are encouraged to visit I WORK FOR SA, where you can view current vacancies and/or register to receive job alerts as opportunities arise.

Hear from some of our graduates about their experiences in the public sector.

A graduate program is for participants who have attained a university qualification within the last three years or will attain one before their employment commences.

An eligible candidate must:

  • Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or have an appropriate work visa.
  • Have completed a qualification as per the requirement of the agency graduate program, which will specify the relevant discipline and whether post-graduate qualifications are considered
  • Undertake a National Police Check or other appropriate background screening where required by an agency
  • Participate in an assessment of verbal, numeric and abstract ability
  • Undertake vocational qualification training requirements
  • Meet all other employment and participation conditions including travelling independently to and from the workplace, training sites and other sites as determined
  • Uphold the Public Sector Values and adhere to the Code of Ethics for the South Australian Public Sector.

Previous employees who have recently accepted a Targeted Voluntary Separation Package are not eligible to apply.

Please check specific agency requirements as stated in the job advertisement before applying for a position.

A full list of available qualifications can be found on the Traineeship and Apprenticeship Pathways Schedule (TAPS) found here. This list includes available qualifications under a Contract of Training, nominal duration of the contract and length of the probation period. Eligible qualifications include Certificate III, Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

Your first point of contact is your supervisor. If there are issues relating to your work site that cannot be resolved by talking to your supervisor, please contact us via If you don’t feel you can discuss your issue with any of the contacts listed above, you can utilise the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which will be listed on your agency’s intranet.

What is the difference between my mentor and my supervisor?

Mentors are experienced employees from across South Australian Government who provide you with guidance and support. This may include assistance to develop your skills in the workplace, develop your understanding of government and set and achieve professional and career goals. Your mentor is an added support person you have access to during your 12-month program.

Supervisors hold a different position. Supervisors delegate, monitor and support your development in the workplace. It is important to establish an open and trusting relationship with your supervisor, so you can develop your skills and address any challenges as they arise.

Why do I have to undertake further study?

You are undertaking study that has been designed to complement your workplace learning, and support you to work in the public sector. Combining stduy and on-the-job experience is crucial to skill building and your development.

Can I choose to complete any qualification?

Your supervisor will detail a relevant vocational qualification which is aligned to your unit and work responsibilities.

Will I rotate amongst a number of units within the one agency?

Each agency manages their graduate employment slightly differently. Your supervisor will inform you as to whether opportunities to rotate across units exist and if so, how to nominate your preferences.

What is a Contract of Training?

A Contract of Training (COT) is the legal document that oversees your traineeship. A COT is an agreement signed by yourself, your employer and the training provider. An Apprenticeship Network Provider will meet with you and your supervisor to sign your contract of training. The COT will then be lodged with the Department for Innovation and Skills for approval. The COT must be approved before training activity can commence.

Who pays for the travel costs for me to attend training?

All employees are responsible for their own travel costs to and from training within the metropolitan area. If a trainee is required to travel from a regional centre to attend training, the trainee’s agency is responsible for providing transport and accommodation if required.