Great Managers. Great Teams. Great Results.
Frontline managers play a critical role in driving a high performing public sector. That is why we are intentionally and systemically investing in developing our managers – so that we achieve great results for our great State.
The Manager Essentials Program is a four-month development program for frontline managers that focuses on three essential areas for effectively managing in the South Australia Public Sector: Manage Self, Manage the Team, and Manage the Business.
- A dynamic learning program featuring contemporary approaches and practical tools delivered by sought-after experts
- Contextualised learning to the South Australian Public Sector
- Opportunities to connect and collaborate with peers across different agencies.
The Manager Essentials Program gives managers the support, encouragement and structure to ramp up their leadership impact. Whether participants are new to managing, or experienced managers, some of the areas managers will master include:
- Understanding the four key success factors of emotional intelligence and using this powerful framework to create a personalised action plan.
- Discovering personal strengths and blind spots, and how they support and undermine management impact.
- Selecting the right team members and cultivating their skills to drive high performance.
- Learning how to get the job done by keeping the team focused and motivated while holding them accountable.
- Understanding why fostering camaraderie, collaboration and inclusion are key to cultural transformation.
- Discovering ways to tackle challenging behaviours and situations before they escalate.
- Exploring why planning, goal setting and managing time effectively can shift the odds in your favour.
- Gaining robust strategies for leveraging your operational success during times of change.
The Manager Essentials Program is delivered over a four-month period and consists of:
- Virtual Kick-Off Summit with inspiring keynote speakers
- Individualised SEI leadership profiles to build self-awareness and support your leadership development
- Two face-to-face workshops at an Adelaide venue
- Three core and two optional virtual workshops delivered by expert facilitators
- Regular briefings for your Line Manager to help them understand your learning on the program and tips for connecting with you
- Self-paced, online modules that deliver key messages on the essential HR responsibilities you have as a manager
- Online micro-learning activities (e.g. articles, short video clips) via our portal
- Virtual Program Close with engaging keynote speakers and senior leaders from the SA Public Sector
- Alumni events in 2021 to re-connect with your Manager Essentials, public sector colleagues. Please note: There may be a cost for some events.
The Manager Essentials Program is designed for South Australian public sector frontline managers who are responsible for directly managing staff. Participants can be new managers or existing managers seeking to re-calibrate their skills.
This is a practising leadership and management program and is not suitable for aspiring managers. While executives may attend, specific executive development opportunities are provided through the South Australian Leadership Academy.
Manager Essentials Program Intake 4 will start on 25 Feb 2021.
The program will be a combination of face-to-face and virtual interactive workshops with a choice of dates to suit different schedules.
The total duration is four months, and participants will need to attend all learning events as well as complete the online HR Essentials modules.
|Virtual Kick-Off Summit||Wed 25 Feb 2021 9:30am-12:30pm|
Module 1 - Face-To-Face Workshop - Making the Impact You Choose
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3||Group 4|
|Wed 03 March||Wed 10 March||Tue 16 March||Wed 17 March|
Module 2 - Virtual Interactive Workshops
|Topic||Option 1||Option 2|
|Building Effective Teams||Thu 25 March||Tue 30 March|
|Fostering Positive Team Culture, Collaboration and Inclusion||Wed 31 March||Wed 07 April|
Module 3 - Virtual Interactive Workshops
|Topic||Option 1||Option 2|
|Giving Feedback and Navigating Courageous Conversations||Wed 28 April||Wed 05 May|
|Unlocking Motivation||Tue 04 May||Wed 12 May|
|Communication and Coaching to Unlock Potential||Tue 11 May||Wed 19 May|
Module 4 - Face-To-Face Workshop: Getting Your Ducks In A Row (Decide-Plan-Act-Evaluate)
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3||Group 4|
|Thur 20 May||Wed 26 May||Thur 27 May||Tue 1 June|
|Virtual Closing Seminar||Thur 10 June 2021 9:30am-12:00 noon|
Investment: $1,950 + GST
- Kick-Off Summit with amazing guest speakers
- Emotional Intelligence self-assessment profile
- Two face-to-face, full day workshops
- Five virtual interactive workshops @ 1.5 hours each
- Six online modules covering HR Essentials
- Program Closing Celebration
- Briefings to your Managers to support your learning
- Success Support Groups for cross public sector networking
- Comprehensive learner guides and program aides
- Certificate of completion
Intake 4 Nominations
For Department/Agency, please complete this Manager Essentials Program Intake 4 Nomination Form.
For individuals, you can 'Register Your Interest' by completing this form, Intake 4 (starting Thu 25 Feb 2021), and we will forward your request to your Department/Agency's HROD.
You need to have endorsement from your Line Manager and Department/Agency prior to filling in the Manager Essentials registration form - you will be required to acknowledge this on the form.
For any program enquiries, please email
Keynote Speaker - Kick-Off Summit: "Navigating Culture, Teams, Results and Yourself"
Richard is recognised as one of the most effective Leadership and Workplace Culture facilitators in Australia. People love his engaging facilitation style – he’s fun, irreverent, a great storyteller and more importantly he cuts through the hype.
Kristen Hansen, CEO, EnHansen Performance Pty Ltd
Keynote Speaker – Kick-Off Summit – “The Neuroscience of Self-Leadership”
Kristen is a pioneer in the field of neuroleadership through executive coaching, training, keynote presentations and blended and digital learning. Kristen focusses on “transforming managers into agile leaders of change and performance”.
A successful business leader and entrepreneur, Angela is a sought-after leadership and emotional intelligence master trainer and coach operating at the nexus of business and neuroscience. She transforms lives by unlocking the power of brave leadership.
John Dare, Co-CEO, Emotous
John brings over 25 years’ of experience transforming and building businesses and cultures to thrive through accelerating change, including deep expertise in emotional intelligence and neuroscience.
Steven Nayda, ZED Management Consulting
Steven has a unique ability to engage clients from all backgrounds at all levels. Steven has an extensive background in working in the South Australian Public Sector. He is very insightful and can draw on the collective wisdom of a group of leaders. He is a very passionate facilitator and seeks a shared vision and pathway to success.